Friday, December 19, 2008

Jabal Al Akhdar - Green Mountain

Less than 2 weeks ago I was in Oman and although you can find the same landscape throughout the Emirates, the most defining characteristic of my preference for Oman in comparison to the Emirates is the people and secondly the history...
I love my weekend getaways, but I can't go all the way to Ras Al Hadd like I did recently, it's just too much driving for a weekend alone, but I might have found something better than that (without the beach though!).

While I was out there, my flat mate Max was pestering me to bring him bottled water from Jabal Al Akhdar, I was wondering what is so special about the water, well, the water is pretty good but after seeing pictures of the place, it got even better!!!

In the Middle East the favourite destinations are always the greener ones, that's why Salalah is a heaven on Earth for most Middle Eastern's, but Jabal Al Akhdar can really compete with Salalah on the green ground on a smaller scale of course, and so close by...

Jabal Al Akhdar is a left turn somewhere before reaching Nizwa and the proximity to Nizwa is an advantage in terms of accommodation. I read somewhere that there's a small budget hotel right down the mountain, surprisingly called Jabal Al Akhdar Hotel, I tried sending an e-mail with no response yet. But Nizwa has plenty accommodation to fit different budgets. I think the most luxurious hotel would be the Tulip Inn and for cheaper solutions there is Tanuf Residency and Falaj Daris Hotel, both on the outskirts of the city, 5km away from Khanjar Roundabout. The rates for these hotels as per reviews I read are supposed to be 20-40USD although I wasn't able to reach them also...

Anyways, there's still time, my exploring of Jabal Al Akhdar will start in January 2009, new year, new destinations, insha'allah!

No comments:

Post a Comment